This policy outlines the ways in which illuminate Education (“We”) collect, use, disclose, store, secure, manage and dispose of your Personal Information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (“the APP’s”).
Where the words “Personal Information” are used in this policy, that expression means information or an opinion that is either specifically about you, or if you are not specifically identified but you are reasonably capable of being identified, irrespective as to:
- Whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- Whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
The Kinds of Personal Information We Collect and Hold
The kinds of Personal Information we collect from you may vary depending upon the nature of the services we provide you. Generally, we will collect information regarding your name, contact details, gender, date of birth and education history. We may also collect and hold other relevant information directly related to your matter with us.
How We Collect and Hold your Personal Information
We will collect the majority of your Personal Information from you directly. We may also however obtain your Personal Information from:
- Government Departments or Agencies by undertaking searches or by request; and
- Professionals who have acted in your behalf previously.
We will obtain your consent before contacting any third party for the purposes of collecting your Personal Information.
The Purposes for which we Collect, Hold, Use and Disclose your Personal Information
We collect, hold, use and disclose your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Providing services to you or someone else you know;
- Providing you with information about other services that we, our related entities and other organisations that we have affiliations with, offer that may be of interest to you;
- Facilitating our internal business operations, including the fulfilment of any legal requirements; and
- Analysing our services and client needs with the view of developing new or improved services
How you May Access or Seek the Correction of Personal Information Held by Us
You may access or seek the correction of any Personal Information held by us by contacting our offices using the contact details available at our website http://www.illuminate.education or by written request forwarded to:
The Privacy Manager
C\O Cowork Launceston
Level 2, Suite 7
68-72 Cameron Street
Launceston TAS 7250
How you can Complain about a Breach of the APP’s
If at any stage you feel we have breached the APP’s in our collection, use, disclosure, storage, security, management or disposal of your Personal Information, you may lodge a complaint with our Privacy Manager using the contact details available on our website http://www.illuminate.education.
We are committed to protecting your privacy and as such we treat all complaints very seriously. Our Privacy Manager will address your concerns with our Firm Directors and contact you to ensure you are satisfied with our proposed resolution. If we do not respond to you within 30 days or you are not satisfied with our response, you are entitled to lodge a “Privacy Complaint Form” with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. Copies of this form and details relating to lodgment are available at https://forms.business.gov.au/aba/oaic/privacy-complaint/.
Sharing Information with Third Parties
illuminate Education does not sell or trade your personal information with third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent. illuminate Education may however disclose your personal information to:
- Service providers or persons who perform functions on our behalf, for example, mailing services, distribution services, IT services, data analysis, research, advertising or consultancy services;
- Organisations who are involved in a competition run by us;
- Our professional advisers;
- Regulatory authorities;
- Anyone else to whom you authorise us to disclose it.
Our Disclosure of Your Personal Information to Overseas Recipients
We may disclose personal information about an individual to overseas organisations that help us provide our services. We will however take all reasonable steps not to disclose an individual’s personal information to overseas recipients unless:
- We have the individual’s consent (which may be implied);
- We have satisfied ourselves that the overseas recipient is compliant with the Australian Privacy Principles, or a similar privacy regime;
- We form the opinion that the disclosure will lessen or prevent a serious threat to the life, health or safety of an individual or to public safety; or
- We are taking appropriate action in relation to suspected unlawful activity or serious misconduct
This may occur in the following circumstances:
- Where you instruct us to disclose, whether in writing or verbally, information which contains your Personal Information to an overseas party; or
- Where your Personal Information is disclosed for the purposes of preparing documentation on your behalf, and the employee, agent, representative, or contractor retained to assist in the preparation of the documentation is based overseas; or
- When storing information with a “cloud service provider” which stores data outside of Australia.
Whilst we take exceptional care in ensuring your Personal Information is kept secure in these instances, you may at any time ask we do not rely upon the services of agencies located overseas for the purposes of your matter by written request.
Our Website and Blogs
We collect website and blog activity statistics such as the number of visitors, pages visited, time and date of visit and where you accessed our website or blog from, so that we can make informed decisions relating to improving our website and blogs and the services we deliver. This information is anonymous and doesn’t identify a person.
When you visit our website, a cookie is placed on your computer. The cookie does not contain personal information that can identify you, but may contain information about the page you visited on our website. If you do not wish for this to occur, you can remove cookies from your computer, by following the standard procedures applicable to your internet browser.
Copies of this Policy are available free of charge upon request.